Fall of the Berlin Wall Anniversary Events
30th Anniversary Celebration, November 4-9, 2019
The German Department will celebrate the fall of the Berlin Wall with a series of events planned for the week leading up to the 30th anniversary of November 9, 1989.
- a weeklong poster exhibit in the ICC Galleria on “Understanding the Border: The Berlin Wall 1961-1989”
- a replica Berlin Wall ready to be written on, set up in Red Square from November 7-November 9.
- a presentation by Michael J. Mucchetti, eyewitness to the fall of the Berlin Wall, held on Thursday, November 7 at 5:00 pm in ICC 462. A reception will be held after the event.
- the BLITZslam! conference, featuring 5-minute presentations by students on the topic of walls. This event will take place on Friday, November 8, starting at 12:00 pm. Presentations can be given in English or in German, and lunch will be provided.
- the Tear Down This Wall! cake party on Saturday, November 9 at 12:00 pm in Red Square. Students can enjoy tearing down the replica Berlin Wall cake!
RSVPs are appreciated but not mandatory. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP to either the Mucchetti presentation or the BLITZslam! conference, and we hope you can come celebrate with us!
These events are organized by Professors Anja Banchoff and Astrid Weigert.